Many universities could considerably improve their energy efficiency. Most higher educational establishments comprise of various and large buildings that serve different purposes. Science labs, lecture halls, libraries and student unions use a vast amount of heating, air conditioning, lighting and electricity. This can make managing energy efficiency across a complex estate a challenging task.
Universities are under constant pressure to reduce their operational, utility, energy and carbon outputs. Utilising and tailoring spaces for maximum energy efficiency is becoming high on universities agendas. Multi-site universities present different challenges in energy efficiency management. This is often due to unpredictable occupancy patterns, with lecture theatres being occupied by only a handful of students.
Above achieving the best grades, students who are passionate about the environment are prioritising their choice of university based on its ‘green ranking’. Many are beginning to choose campuses that are leading by example and setting a high sustainable standard. Campus’s introducing initiatives to improve energy efficiency, minimise waste, reduce carbon emissions and help the environment are more likely to be chosen by potential students over their ‘lesser green’ counterparts.
People & Planet, the student-led initiative, who campaign to alleviate poverty, defend human rights and protect the environment, have published a Sustainable University League Table, ranking the greenest Uni at the top.
– Surveying and auditing energy usage to identify and plan short, medium and long-term goals to deliver sustainable building management and utility savings
– Better monitoring facilities management and operational changes to identify and eliminate costly overspends
– Implementing a sustainable procurement process to ensure purchasing is socially and environmentally responsible
– Utilising a remote Building Energy Management company in the absence of in-house technical resources
– Simplifying the analysis of utility data in order to generate quicker and more meaningful reports to make informed decisions
Through the remote management of the entire estate, Next Controls, are able to help you achieve significant cost and energy savings through our innovative BEMS technology and services.
Contact us to find out more.